Friday, April 24, 2009

It Is Official

Well, there is no going back now.  
Andy and I are officially grown up.  Or at least, grown-ups. 

Earlier this week we met with our very own financial planner.  We outlined long-term financial goals and established retirement accounts, beyond the 401 offered by Andy's work. 

We discussed saving for Jack's college and realized that now that we are parents, we need to make a will, so that in the event of our untimely demise, there is a plan for Jack's well-being.  You can bet that conversation made me cry.  No decisions were made. We will come back to that when I feel a little more stable.

Gosh.  Just one year ago, I never even thought about these things.  And now look at me.  All grown up and responsible. 

Sheesh.

In other growing up news, Jack will have his first overnight stay at Grandma's house this evening.  I'm going to a conference tomorrow that requires that I leave at 6:00am, and that is much too early to be dropping off a baby... so the next most obvious choice is that Jack just spends the night, so that he gets a full nights rest and my mother-in-law doesn't have to get up at 5:30 in the morning.

But I'm kind of freaking out.  Well, not really.  But I want to.  I know it needs to happen sometime. I'm hoping to fly to Nashville in September for five nights or so, and I guess if I really am going to do that, I better take some baby steps toward letting my little boy spread his wings. 

Ugh. 

All this talk of wills and of Jack getting so big...

It's putting me in a funk.

Or that could just be the residual brownie guilt, the whining extra child today, or the fact that I only made it to the gym once this week.  

Whatever the reason, I need to snap out of it.  

So I've opened my windows and guzzled a great big glass of ice water.

I've got a gal-pal coming over for lunch and a plan in place to walk both babes to the park after their naps.  That makes me excited.  

Have I told you how much Jack loves to swing?

A lot.

Maybe that is what I need.  I good swing-session.

It shall be done. 

I hope you are entering the weekend funk-free and that you maybe even get a chance to swing a bit.

Wishing you loveliness today!

3 comments:

Sarah said...

Emily, it is hard to leave your child overnight for the first time, but I think it's better if you start doing it when they're younger so they are more used to it and don't freak out when they're older and you have to leave them older. I think it's healthy for parents and children to have a little time away from each other. Good luck!

Allison said...

I've got a will template on CD you can borrow. We just did ours and yes, it is weird and sad to make a will.

Mrs. Nikki Blockhan said...

I love how transparent you are. You are such a joy, and such an amazing mother!! It is always hard the first time, but it does get easier...I promise! :)