Thursday, January 7, 2010

The Decisions that Mothers Must Make

I must have this.

Tonight!

How fortuitous that I have all the ingredients.

...

I know, I know, two posts in a day! What has happened?!

Well, what has happened is that I've cooped myself up in my house for way too long and am dying for some conversation. Since there is no conversation readily available (do I sound lame or what?) I figured I'll send my musings out to the internet world.

Okay, so it is 4:50 and just 15 minutes ago I put Jack down for a nap. Gah!

What was I thinking?!

I was thinking that if it is 4:00 (my internal debate started at 4:00, I didn't make a decision until 4:30) and Jack is rubbing his eyes and lying prostrate on the couch, the next four hours are going to be rough. I've been very emotional the last few days, and if I let him stay up, I don't have a store of grace or patience or joy big enough for us to both make it until bedtime unscathed.

I was also thinking that he went to bed very late last night and woke up very early this morning, with only a regular nap to nowhere-near-compensate for the four hours he missed of his regular snooze routine.

Finally, I was thinking that if he took a tiny sleep I could squeeze in a catnap too. Then I changed my mind and thought that if he slept for a half hour I could pick up my house a little bit and do some of the dinner prep so that the final hours of the day fly by without incident.

So, my sweet boy is quiet in his crib, and instead of resting or cleaning, I am drooling over caramel pudding.

So now, to put away my typing, fly through my tidy up and ignore dinner prep in favor of making putting (what the heck?! I just read this - four weeks after posting it - and I wrote "putting" when I meant "pudding" why didn't anyone say anything?!) and letting it set before I get Jack up...

Ready, set... and she's off!

2 comments:

Mom said...

What you really need are the tiny little crystal disks that hold a teeny serving of pudding dolloped with whipped cream. More dishes. Yes. That's what you need.

Emily said...

I made the pudding and it came out much too thick. It couldn't have been salvaged even by tiny little serving disks.

I felt better however, when I went back to the post and discovered that several other people followed the recipe exactly and ended up with a gummy product.

It is probably for the best. I didn't need four cups of caramel pudding anyway.