Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Stage an Intervention

I have already confessed that I get kind of wrapped up in the Biggest Loser. But today I had a realization.

The Biggest Loser is a gateway show for me.

As I launched into my adult life I set out with a sort of... hmm... distaste... disregard... distain... of television. I lived in three different apartments before Andy and I got married and never once did it cross my mind to sign up for cable service.

I think it started when I was still living at home and I realized that I didn't like the show Friends. To be more accurate, I realized that I DID like Friends, or at least found it entertaining, and I wished that I didn't. Something clicked in my brain that I was laughing at situations and comments that if I were to participate in, in my real life, would be appalling to me. I realized that I was finding depictions of sin and dismissal of God, entertaining.

So, I try to keep the television off as much as possible.

At least, until the Biggest Loser came along.

But that was just the beginning.

Now...

... I have a LINE UP.

People! I have a show each night that I look forward to!

GAH! THIS CAN NOT BE!

Biggest Loser.
Survivor.
American Idol. American Idol? Me? Watching American Idol? I never thought I would see the day!
Throwdown with Bobby Flay (I'm okay with this one. It is a food show. Food shows are totally allowed!)

And now, the cherry on top, is that I know what made last night's Rose Ceremony on The Bachelor "the most exciting one yet."

Sigh.

I don't know what to say for myself. The facts don't lie, and neither does my DVR.

I may not need an intervention yet, but if you come to my house and find US or People lying around, please, PLEASE do something to save me from myself.


1 comment:

Michelle Ferguson said...

I somehow accidentally watched The Bachelor this week too!! What in the world!? It was disgusting, repulsive, twisted, dramatic, lust-filled....and yes, entertaining. I couldn't turn it off! I had to know what happened with the girl who could either lose her job or stay with this classy dude "in love" with 4 women. What a dilemma...

Anyway, knowing that you fell prey to this "reality" show somehow makes me feel better. We should start an accountability group for this....and we could broadcast our meetings on You Tube!