Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Dinners NOT Ready

In case you are ever looking for a time-saving approach to dinner and you are tempted to try "Dinners Ready," I advise against it.  

Andy calls it "Dinners Not Ready."  As in "What's for dinners not ready tonight?"

To give them some credit, the food is good and it is nice to not have to think about what to make, but I spend as much time, if not more preparing the food.  And most of the dishes don't include veggies.  And the cook times given in the instructions are all grossly underestimated, except in the case of rice where it is over estimated and you will end up with burned rice. And the servings are on the small side (Andy's words last night, with a pleading look I don't often see - "Is there any more food?"  So in addition to spending more time than I wanted on the first meal, I made a second meal for my hungry guy.). 

I guess now I don't have to wonder if it would be a good fit for our family.  It isn't. If you've been wondering the same thing, wonder no more.  It is not all it is cracked up to be.

Since I'm in a magnanimous, advice offering mood I will throw one more bonus review.  If you are ever tempted to substitute Tazo Vanilla Chai instead of the organic original because it is on sale for $2 cheaper - don't do it.  The vanilla is VERY disappointing.

There you go, consider yourself an informed consumer.  I will be sure to keep you up to date on my culinary discoveries.  Hopefully next time it will be something that brings wonder to my kitchen, instead of disappointment. 

No comments: