Wednesday, June 24, 2009

And The Gold Medal Goes To...

Jack is sleeping.

Yay!

Usually when Jack rests, so do I. At least lately, I've taken naps, read novels or done the dishes so that I don't have to do them later. But today I am so distracted that I don't feel much like sitting still.

The first reason that I feel so fidgety is that I fear for Jack's safety.

Does anyone know if giant moths bite?

After an eventful transition from play to nap (eventful because my first attempt at putting Jack down was thwarted by the fact that I forgot that his door was off its hinges... more on that later) I was walking Jack to his room when I spied a black fluttery shape out of the corner of my eye.

I halted.

I moved further into the room just to make sure I wasn't imagining things.

I wasn't. In the corner, idiotically bouncing into the blinds was the biggest moth I have ever seen. Like, as big as a small bird.

How's that for simile?

I have a great distaste for large moths. They are almost up there with spiders and crane flies. Gross! I feel itchy all over just thinking about them all! I don't like that their bodies are furry. And I don't like that they fly so stupidly. And I hate the thought of trying to squish one, because, can you imagine the mess their fat bodies would make?!

Bleck!! If anyone knows a good written exclamation for shaking your body all over and sticking your tongue out and shivering while making a grossed-out noise, I could have used it just now and would be very grateful if you know of one for future use.

Anyhow, after all the work of getting Jack nap-ready, I didn't want to miss the window of opportunity. And we all know that boys, no matter how small, are not afraid of bugs.

So, I put him down for a nap, but now I am stuck worrying about his fate, which I left in the hands (wings?) of a very large, potentially blood-sucking moth.

What kind of mother am I?!

I have to keep resisting the illogical urge to go peek in his room and make sure he isn't swarmed by black, winged, furry creatures.

Argh!!!

...

I interrupt this post to tell you that my brother-in-law just came upstairs to borrow something. I seized the opportunity and asked him to go get the foul creature. He walked into Jack's room, armed with nothing but a paper towel... a PAPER TOWEL PEOPLE... and got the bug! Oh Jason! Thank you!

Not only did he squish it... but as I predicted it left a large, smeary mess on the wall. He even cleaned that up for me. His words, "Do you want me to get that so you don't have to touch it?"

You married a good man Lizzie, a good man.

I am sorry to tell you, but after all of that excitement I am too spent to regale you with tales of the other items on my "I can't rest" list. Another day my pets, another day.

2 comments:

Ellery said...

Yay Jason! Just as good as when Andy did the same for Lizzie! I love it!

Brittany H said...

Hi thanks for posting this.