Saturday, June 27, 2009

How Do You Spell Trouble?

HGTV.

That's how.

Guys, I don't know what has happened to me. Usually, I am an avid NON-TV watcher during the day. I don't like the noise of having it on all the time and I don't like getting sucked into shows that add nothing to my thoughts or skills.

I guess that might sound kind of pompous, but I don't mean it that way, I just usually don't like TV.

But there are occasional days, especially days when I have two needy babies, that the sound of adult voices is welcome, even if they are coming from a box.

I don't know if it is because I have a lingering cold and am feeling less energetic than usual, or if it is because I'm trying to tune out the constant refrain that says, "Put on your running shoes and get going!" Whatever the initial cause, I have found myself totally wrapped up in home improvement shows and room make-overs found on the Home and Garden channel.

The trouble isn't just that I am totally captivated by shows that teach you how to make your home more appealing to potential buyers... it's that both Andy and I are sucked in. We stayed up WAY too late last night, totally mesmerized by the pretty new paint colors and the interesting floor plans.

And that is only problem number one. Number two is that just like fashion makeovers leave me feeling unhappy with what I have and wishing for $5000 to redo my whole exterior, these room redesigns are leading me to look at my own humble (and sweet) abode with distaste. Where I have usually been content and enjoyed my home's character and ability to offer shelter and warmth and a place to connect with friends, I now see only the flaws and our financial limitations for creating that illusive "perfect space."

I refuse to live with the feelings of "less than" just because I can't afford an interior designer to come remake my home, or even the perfect shag rug. I have comfortable chairs and lots of ice water to offer hot, tired guests.

So, consider this my warning to you. If you are not an avid HGTV watcher, don't ever, EVER turn it on. It gets you in the first half hour! And if you ARE a fan, be careful how it affects your eyes. TV will do that to you... make you feel like you and what you have is completely inadequate.

So now, I am gearing up for a day that includes running shoes, moving couches, cleaning counters, appreciating what I have... and maybe just one teensy weensy show... or maybe not.


2 comments:

Sarah said...

I know how you feel Emily, about shows leaving you feeling inadequate. I like to watch those shows and think about what the future might bring. I think it's good to have something to save for or plan on doing eventually and know that you don't have to do it right now. I haven't seen your home but there's no doubt in my mind that it's beautiful and very welcoming, just like your personality and just like your mom's house. :)

Ellery said...

Emily's house is beautiful and original. She has eclipsed me in decorating just as she has in cooking and gift wrapping!